Jobs and careers are “rebooting” with new combinations of industry-related education and experience combined with computer programming and coding skills, according to a report from tech industry employment experts Burning Glass. The financial industry, manufacturing and engineering, and healthcare are the top industries which are already requesting that employees have coding skills. Two-thirds of the highest-paying and fastest growing jobs in these industries request computer science skills along with industry-related abilities, Burning Glass reports.

Demand for jobs for people with exclusive computer science degrees isn’t growing, but demand for computer coding skills as part of a broader career in the financial sector, manufacturing, and health care is on a sharp upward trend. Only 18% of the in-demand, fastest-growing jobs Burning Glass surveyed requested a computer science degree. The other 82% of the jobs requested a bachelors’ degree: but not in computer science. This is where coding school or coding bootcamp comes in. Think of these new jobs as like coding-plus or career-plus-coding.

Manufacturing Industry Coding

You’ve probably heard the phrase “robots are going to take our jobs.” But tech workforce experts Burning Glass say that the “job skills that represent the future of manufacturing are more technical” than jobs of previous generations.

The company reported on the manufacturing and coding job skill outlook at a national Workforce Board meeting in March 2018. They told the audience that the biggest single category for manufacturing jobs advertised in 2017 was software development. Jobs in sales, engineering, and general production/manufacturing technicians also called for coding skills. One of the biggest drivers in coding in manufacturing industries is the rise of the “Internet of Things” or programmable computers used within products and equipment that is sold to consumers or used in manufacturing processes. An interesting feature: robots may be taking many jobs of the past but robot maintenance is the fastest-growing skill in manufacturing and it uses IoT coding.

Financial Industry Coding

The “skills gap” shows in the financial industry as banks, lenders, credit companies and business financial sector companies have 21% greater demand for jobs than they have qualified applicants. The difference? Coding and computer skills.

Burning Glass reported on the skills gap in March 2018. Only the healthcare industry had a higher skills gap between jobs and applicants than the financial sector. Business analysts, data analysts, and financial analysts are all in high demand with coding skills in the financial industry.

Healthcare Industry Coding

The job title of “coding” can be confusing in the healthcare industry because medical coding refers to using international codes for medical billing as well as to computer programming. Healthcare information technology has a number of branches and specialties. Nurses, physicians, counselors, and other health care professionals are learning how to code to work in emerging healthcare information management and technology jobs in many different sectors of hospitals, clinics, and community health centers. You can work as a data analyst and healthcare information technology professional. You will find that most careers do require education and experience in health care, and also that exciting opportunities are opening in healthcare information technology and management.

Coding skills can help you understand challenges and problems in the working environment and devise effective solutions. Coding has grown far beyond the skills of its early years. At Zip Code Wilmington, we have a firm grasp of what industries are looking for and we can help you get a start in a new, challenging, and rewarding career.

Join us for an informative webinar on Tuesday, July 10th at 6:00 P.M. to get details on our curriculum, cost and application process. Click here to save your spot.